Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hong Kong Polytechnic University...

When I was hanging around the university today while Gino was attending various meetings, I noticed that Hong Kong resident, Jackie Chan was giving a lecture in the Jockey Club Auditorium about his long relationship with the movies and with his interest in promoting tourism in this area. Since he was speaking in Cantonese, they gave me a headset for the translation. He's very funny and genuine in his presentation and the audience thoroughly enjoyed his talk/interview. Later on in the evening, we had a working dinner at the restaurant on the 14th floor of the university. Gino and Lorraine were there, of course, but joining us for the roundtable discussion were: Ian, Frank, Derek, Myle, Stewart, Merle, Phillip and Cary. The discussion centered around the ways that each of us could create future courses for the university that would focus on helping the students to expand both their creativity and their consciousness.
I noticed that the restaurant provided everyone with two different sets of chopsticks: one black and one white. When I asked about it, I was told that they had started that practice during the SARS outbreak several years ago. The idea was to use the black chopsticks to move the food placed on the lazy susan to your plate and then to use the white chopsticks to actually put the food into your mouth. Although their concern about SARS has passed, they are still following this practice at the university restaurant.
Tonight, Gino is taking a late flight to LA and I'm moving over to Lorraine's apartment closer into the city and within walking distance to the university. Cedrick and I are still planning to head on over to Macau in a few days. More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home