Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Lazy days in Hong Kong...

The Temple Street night market is a shoppers' paradise. Everything of interest to the tourist is offered here at the stalls that stretch down both sides of the street for about five blocks. There are, naturally, lots of Westerners, lots of noise and lots of heavy-duty body heat that's generated by the wall-to-wall crowds. At one end of Temple Street, there are also dozens of psychics and fortune tellers, etc. who will be happy to read your face, palms, tarot, astrology chart, etc. to predict your future. As modern as Hong Kong is, they still put great stock in mystical/magical traditions that border on superstition. For example, a few of the most modern buildings near the water here are constructed with large holes through the entire building. These holes might be several stories high and, perhaps, a hundred feet across and they're actually designed into the building in order to assure that the powerful Dragon (a very important symbol in Chinese lore) has direct access to the sea.
The weather in HK is still a bit overcast, and so I'm going to tentatively delay my trip to Macau until Wednesday. Also, I came down with a case of larangytis from the combination of super-cold air conditioning and cigar smoke that we had to endure a few days ago at "Joe Bananas." Consequently, I've decided to take it slow for a few days in order to rest up before taking the hydrofoil over to Macau on Wednesday. More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home