Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Last day in Hong Kong...

Since today turned out to be an absolutely glorious day, Steve and I decided to take the ferry over to one of the outlying islands around Hong Kong. There are about 235 of these islands with Lantau (the home of Disneyland, their new international airport and the Giant Buddha statue) being the largest(about twice the size of Hong Kong Island.) We had both been to Lantau Island before and so we decided to go over to Cheung Chau, another much smaller island about one square mile in size. It's got a large expat population living here and the principle industry is tourism and fishing. The waterfront area has a lot of shops and restaurants that cater to the tourists and the energy here is very low-key and noticeably quite different from the frenetic energy that pulsates in Kowloon and on Hong Kong Island. Since this was my last night in HK, after a swim back at the apartment, Steve and I headed out to the local "party central" on HK Island...a small several block area known as Lan Kwai Fong. More later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home