Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Athens planetarium....

I had read about the Athens Planetarium in the Lonely Planet book on Greece, and I wanted to check it out.   Very cool, indeed.   According to the boo, they boast that they have the largest and most technologically advanced digital planetarium in the world.    Well, it's big all right, and pretty damned impressive.   They show about eight different and rotating 45-minute shows on the stars, planet earth, nature and the seas.   All of these films are very well crafted and professionally presented with all of the latest special effects to add to the impact.    If you go, be sure to ask them for some earbuds so that you can enjoy the English translation.  Really cool stuff that I hadn't seen anywhere else.   In the same building, there are three levels of  fascinating hands-on experiments and exhibits for you to experience science and its relevance to your life.   It's geared for everyone from 9 to 90, and it's in English as well as in Greek.    Other impressions of Greece:  1) there are very very few obese people here.   I guess that their Mediterranean diet must be working. 2). Many of the houses have large water tanks with a solar panel attached.  Works quite efficiently to heat the water.    I've noticed that even in very expensive houses or hotels, there's a noticeable lack of electrical outlets that are available.   Probably at least half of what we have in the States.  BTW, I found that Greece to be somewhat  more expensive than what I had thought.     For example, at a hotel, you often pay extra to use the gym or the swimming pool and, of course, everything on every menu is usually ala carte. The people, though, are very friendly and helpful of you get lost or need help.   Smiling always helps.    Off to Rhodes onMonday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home