Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Monday, October 07, 2013

On Saturday, my nephew, Craig and I drove out to Cape Sounion to see what remained of  the Temple of Poseidon.  It's at the tip of the southern point around Athens and had served as a lighthouse for the ships returning from the sea.   The Temple had been built around 444 BC which was about the same time that the Parthenon was being constructed.  On the way there, we stopped for lunch at one of the many restaurants along the shoreline:  Greek salad, mussels, pork, French fries, fish and beer.  All very excellent.  On Monday morning, Craig drove me to the airport where I caught a short 50-minute flight to the magical island of Santorini.  About 3600 years ago,the island had exploded and fragmented by a super volcano and the caldera it left is still easily visible.  Fira, the main town, is a trourist haven:  meandering cobble-stone streets about 8 to 10 feet wide all lined with shops and restaurants to fit any budget.  The seating for the restaurants is mostly outdoor on patios that hang precipitously over the edge of the cliff overlooking the caldera.    I'm not a big shopper but I'm absolutely sure that you'd be able to find something here to suit your taste.   In the late afternoon, I returned to the Hotel and treated myself to a massage.   Chris, the guy who met me at the plane, is a friend of  Craig's friend who was able to arrange for my island hopping at a very reduced rate.   When I mentioned to Chris that it was nice of him to do this favor for "John," he said that it "wasn't a favor at all,"  but that he was doing it solely because John was his "friend."   In Greece, things get done more through your personal relationships with people than through anything else.  In the evening, I took the local bus over to Oia, a smaller but equally delightful little town about 20 minutes away from Fira.  If you decide to take the bus to Oia, be sure to ride on the right side by the window.  The road is very curved and the locals don't believe in constructing very many guard rails.   Driving along just a few feet from the edge, there's often absolutely nothing between the bus and the bottom of a extremely steep 600-foot drop.....except air.
Oia is known as the best place to see the fabulous sunsets of Santorini and, as it approached, people gravitated to the many bars and restaurants facing the west.  The food was fantastic although a bit pricey.   I'm growing quite fond of the way the Greeks prepare lamb.   Tomorrow, I'm taking a boat to Mykonos.   More later.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Marita said...

So jealous!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home