Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

After the 3-island boat tour on Friday, I decided to kick back for a day at the house.   When the kids had to go to different birthday parties, I took the opportunity to explore the large forested park just to the south of the house.  Since there were no clearly marked paths, you could just wander through the vegetation and undergrowth without purpose or design.   I found a quiet place to meditate and stayed for more than an hour.   On Sunday, Craig and I headed over to see the famous Corinth Canal which joins the Aegean and the Ionian Seas.  It was first attempted in 7th century BC and had been worked on by such historical luminaries as Alexander the Great, Caligula and Nero.   It was finally finished in 1893.   What took so long?   Well, it cuts through solid rock for about 19,600 feet (about 3.7 miles).    It's 70 feet across and the verticle walls rise almost 275 feet.   They actually do bungee jumps off of one of the several bridges that cross the chasm.   Afterwards, Craig and. I went to the ruins of the ancient city of Corinth for lunch at a restaurant that overlooks the old market place where St. Paul preached to the less-than-enthusiastic Corinthians.   As you might know, many of the Christian gospels still repeat Paul's moralistic admonitions in his "Letters to the Corinthians."  After lunch, we drove the car up the limestone cliff behind ancient Corinth to one of the finest natural fortifications in Ancient Greece: Acrocornith.  It offers very impressive and commanding views of the surrounding area and has been used through the years by Romans, Byzantines, Frankish, Venetian and Turkish invaders.  On the highest summit, you'll find what remains of the Temple of Aphrodite.
On Tuesday, I'm heading northwest to check out Delphi and Meteora.  More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home