Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Going to Mykonos.....

I checked out of the Aressanna Hotel and Spa on Santorini and got a ride down the cliff to the boat dock.   The cheapest ways to get to a lot of the islands is by using one the many catamaran ferry boats that regularly make the journeys.   You are assigned a specific seat (about 18 seats across on two decks) and are expected to stay there the full time unless you are heading to the snack bar or the toilet.   These boats are quite fast and move a lot of passengers and their luggage between the islands and, since most of the smaller islands do not have airports, they are a real necessity.   I spent the 2.5 hours chatting with a friendly couple from Oregon.   After stopping first at two other smaller islands, we finally arrived at Mykonos.   I had a reservation at the Hotel Leto which is a five minute walk from where the boat docked.   It's a beautiful hotel on the beach at the edge of the Old Town area of Mykonos.   After I settled in, I spent the next few hours wandering through all of the twisted back alleys and checking out the shops and restaurants.  I found an excellent bar with windows that opened directly onto the water.   If you ever get to Mykonos, be sure to go to the Kastro Bar since they have the best location for an outstanding view of the famous windmills of Mykonos as well as for their amazing sunsets.  I asked them for a recommendation of a great restaurant, and they pointed me to Niko's, a few blocks away.   Wow!  I'm really growing quite find of Greek food.  Afterwards, I headed back to Kastro and enjoyed some Ouzo as the sun went down.   A crescent moon and Venus shone brightly in the west.  More later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home