Chuck Hillig's Travel Blog

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next 6-7 months so I thought that I'd better re-activate my travel blog. The last time I posted anything here was way back in 2006 when I was traveling through SE Asia. Feel free to read my entries back then about my earlier adventures through India,Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines and Hong Kong. This time (at least for the next six weeks), I'll be traveling through Greece and Turkey.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Visiting the acropolis at Lindos...

I took the 9:30 AM bus to Lindos, a small, picturesque coastal town about 80 minutes SW of the city of Rhodes. From the bus stop, you have to walk down a long hill to enter the areas for the shops and restaurants.  The buildings are generally grouped around the base of the acropolis and offer the choice of several steep pathways up to where the fortifications begin.  Lindos was in its golden age during the Archaic period during the 6th and 7th century BC.  The pillars of the Temple of Athena are still remarkably well preserved on top as are many of the original fortifications.  It's a long climb to the summit and visitors are encouraged to take advantage of the donkeys-for-rent that transport the tourists....for a price, of course....both up and down the steep incline of the acropolis.   At the end, you'll still have to climb another few hundred steps since the donkey ride stops at the base of the fortifications   At the top, though, there's a commanding view of both the town and of the sapphire-blue Aegean.  The town itself is a confusing maze of narrow streets (some so small, you can touch both sides of the street at the same time) and winding passageways offering the typical touristic items for sale, some pretty high-end.   Of course, there are many unique little restaurants and bars, each offering impressive views of the local beaches that lie at the base of the acropolis.   I'm always a bit surprised by how many of the stores here in Greece offer only ice creams and yogurts and all see to be doing quite well.   When I got back to Old Town in Rhodes, I had a great dinner overlooking the Main Square near the fountain.    I was supposed to take the 10:30 AM catamaran tomorrow to Turkey, but the boat company just sent me an email saying that they had cancelled the trip (not enough people) and we're rescheduling it for 5PM instead.    The extra time here will give me a chance to visit the famous museum just a few blocks away from my hotel.    More later....hopefully from Turkey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home